The position of Head Bartender beyond the tasks of Bartender, consists of taking responsibility of bar, ensuring stock control of drinks and beverages, and encashment. He ensures mixing and serving drinks and beverages to clients is done directly or through waiters in an efficient and polite manner.
- Welcoming patrons and directing them to seats or lounge;
- Presenting them with beverages menu and answer questions about menu; advise them on choice of wine, cocktails;
- Take orders from patrons directly or serving staff for drinks and beverages; Memorise orders while taking them.
- Check clients’ identification (when in doubt) to make sure they are 18+ for consumption of alcoholic drinks;
- Present hot, cold, or mixed drinks as ordered. Bucket of ice for chilled wine;
- Mix ingredients such as ice, soda, water, sugar, and bitters to prepare cocktails and other drinks;
- Serve wine and bottled or draft beer;
- Check with customers from time to time that they are enjoying their drinks and take action to remedy any problems;
- Present itemized and total checks to customers;
- Collect payments from customers at bar;
- Prepare lounge services and assure quality service for lounge;
- Clean bar, work areas, tables and counters;
- Clean glasses, utensils, and bar equipments;
- Balance cash receipts;
- Attempt to limit problems and liability related to customers excessive drinking bringing steps such as persuading customers to stop drinking and ordering taxis or other transportation for intoxicated patrons.
- Respect cleanliness and compliance with health regulations;
- Notify superior of any wastage, breakages, or unusual occurences and help record in log book;
- Assist Head Bartender in Stock Control and reception of goods from suppliers as well as shelving same in store;
- Thank patrons with a warm smile and invite them to come back soon.
- Perform any cognate duties as may be required by manager.
- Responsible for bar and its harmonious presentation as per standards.
- Responsible for adequate stock of drinks, beverages and any other bar items.
- Responsible for stock control and should there be any variances give adequate explanations.
- Ensuring follow up of orders and reception of goods, daily stock control and reporting.
- Ensuring the requisition forms are duly prepared on the eve of ordering.
- Ensuring bar equipment are in working order and well maintained.
- Ensuring drinks and cocktails are prepared and served as per established standards
- Ensuring cleanliness of bar at all times especially as regards hygiene standards.
- Ensuring all procedures are strictly adhered to, and also ensuring strict adherence to all established procedures, check lists, reporting and log books, as well as filing of purchase orders, invoices and any relevant documents.
- Ensuring control of breakages and wastage and keep log thereof.
- Helping in preparing monthly roster of bartenders and ensuring the roster is strictly adhered to.
- Promoting special deals and upselling.
- Showing initiatives to increase performance of your team and sales
- Responsible for recruitment of bartenders and bar waiters and their training.
- Controlling discipline and ensuring employees respect the house Rules and regulations.
- Training in Vocational School or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying and actively look for ways to help people and to be aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Competencies (in order of preference)
- Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Self Control – Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in difficult situations.
- Attention to detail – Job requires being careful about details and thorough in completion of work tasks
- Integrity – Job requires being honest and ethical
- Cooperation – Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Stress tolerance – Job requires accepting critism and dealing calmly and efficiently with high stress situations